Primary purpose of the role
The Finance and Assurance Officer, Natural Disaster Expenditure and Governance will be responsible for maintaining the Department's natural disaster expenditure finance and assurance function. This function is critical in managing the State's consolidation of natural disaster expenditure and providing assurance on the eligibility of NSW Government agency's reimbursement claims against the State's Disaster Relief Account.
- Maintain an effective risk based assurance function which ensures expenditure claims made by NSW Government agencies meet the eligibility criteria set out in the NSW Disaster Assistance Guidelines (NSW DAG), Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) and other relevant governing documents
- Conduct audits and reviews of agency expenditure records and internal control structures which is consistent with contemporary practices and meets the Australian Government's requirements.
- Work collaboratively within the finance team to ensure Natural Disaster Arrangement's financial management practices accord with better practice, are efficient and effective, and support the Department's business objectives.
- Liaise and communicate with other NSW Government entities and Commonwealth Government in relation to natural disaster expenditure assurance and accounting issues and queries
- Develop and maintain an effective financial management function which ensures natural disaster expenditure information provided by NSW Government agencies is accurate, complete and reconciles with underlying accounting records.
- Assists to supervise a Finance Officer and maintains the financial integrity of the General Ledger within an appropriate financial system and related internal controls to ensure the accurate reflection and timely recording of the state's financial position of eligible natural disaster expenditure. This includes among other things, receiving and making payments, monitoring accounting controls, producing monthly financial accounts within month end reporting timetables, general ledger reconciliations, preparing accounting journals in compliance with legislation and preventing fraud and corruption.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of the annual Financial Statements in accordance with the relevant legislative requirements including Public Finance and Audit Act 1983, Australian Accounting Standards and NSW Treasury Policy mandates.
- * Support decision-making by identifying opportunities for productivity improvement, provide specialist and strategic accounting advice and prepare report with observation and recommendations to senior management in order to strengthen the natural disaster expenditure and governance's financial management framework, policies and procedures.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- The ability to maintain an intricate knowledge and exercising sound professional judgement in interpreting the complex eligibility criteria of the Commonwealth legislation and other policy directives.
- Experience preparing, under tight timeframes, timely and accurate finance and assurance reports including recommendations for improvements to key stakeholders.
- The ability to manage and improve relationships with all stakeholders while maintaining independence and operating an effective assurance function, and educating and increasing awareness of eligibility requirements
If you can demonstrate all the above, then please apply now by submitting your CV in a Microsoft word document.